Thursday 29 June 2017

| MOVIES - JUNE PART 1 |

This list includes: Wonder Woman, A Dog's Purpose, Before I Fall, Fallen, Fifty Shades of Grey Darker, La La Land, The Duff, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Veronika Decides to Die, Finding Dory.



WONDER WOMAN (12)

It's about what you believe.
RATING: 8/10 ; I teared up.
SUMMARY: Backstory of Wonder Woman
REVIEW: I wasn't really going to watch this at first (because we planned on watching Pirates but the schedule was late) but afterwards I felt no regrets. It was a movie worth watching in the cinema. Gal Gadot was amazing as Wonder Woman. I love her and she's really pretty. I love the movie. It made me feel happy at some point but it made me really sad at some. I teared up near the ending (the scene before Diana's anger was triggered). The plot was very interesting (even though it was kind of slow at first). I love watching Diana's reactions towards small things like the ice cream. Her wonder and amazement at the small things outside the island she lived in was lovely. The only issue that I had was that it had quite many slow motion scenes. It got somewhat annoying after a while. However, the fight scenes were still pretty awesome. Chris Pine is one of my ultimate crushes so I was really happy that he was there. Plus, I was also really amazed when I found out that Gal Gadot was 5 months pregnant during the shooting.



A DOG'S PURPOSE (12)

'Just be here now. Be. Here. Now.'
RATING: 8.5/10 ; I teared up.
SUMMARY: A dog searches and narrates about his purpose in life.
REVIEW: My friend suggested this to me and I was curious because I saw KJ Apa (Archie in Riverdale) in the poster. I really loved this movie. It was a very heartwarming film. It made me really happy and really sad at some points. Each of the dogs used were really adorable, fluffy, and cute. That dog is my spirit animal. I love that it was Josh Gad who voiced the dog because it will make you happier if you realize that he voiced Olaf in Frozen (which is also a very happy character). I cried a bit at the ending because it was precious af. If you're a dog lover, be sure to watch this or if you just want something to cheer you up. IT'S VERY PRECIOUS <3.



BEFORE I FALL (13)

'And what you do today matters. In the moment, and maybe into infinity.'
RATING: 7/10; Probably teared up as well.
SUMMARY: Sam repeats her last day alive over and over again. Overtime, she realizes some important things; Based on a book by Lauren Oliver.
REVIEW: I forgot much about the book (I read it back in 2012 or 2013) but I feel that it was an great adaptation of it. Zoey Deutch was able to portray Sam very well. I like that we kept seeing different sides of Sam as she came to realize what was wrong in her life. She was able to realize what's important to her. The other characters seemed irrelevant and there are some holes to the story like as to why it was her that experienced that but that's also the issue from the book (If I remember correctly). For me, I think that she was the one chosen because she was the bystander. Sure, she didn't do much negative stuff but she let it happen. She let her friends bully a person who's just really dark and weird. She just didn't care at the time. I'm glad that she realized what she needed to do and she was able to redeem herself in the end. Some parts where heartbreaking (especially where Kent is involved) and I really wished the ending could have been different but it was a nice movie all in all. It tells us to be careful of what we say or do to another person because it could affect them negatively.



FALLEN (13)

'Just as it always has been.'
RATING: 3.5/10
SUMMARY: Luce gets sent to a reform school where she finds herself attracted to another student whom she feels she knows from somewhere; Based on a book by Lauren Kate.
REVIEW: It wasn't a bad adaptation but it was a disappointing one. I didn't like this movie because it felt so different from the book. Sure, they followed much of the major scenes of the book but they were in a different order and many of the relationships between characters were removed. I hate that they removed Luce's friendship with Arriane. I like them together as friends in the book. Arriane was such a badass friend to have. I also hate that the other angels didn't seem to care. Like, they were just there as audiences. They make bets and treat it as if it was a joke. I also didn't like majority of the casts. They looked really young and not at all angelic. I don't feel any angel vibe when I see them. Also, most of them had little appearances. Only the three love triangle and Penn had much scenes and lines. Also, it felt so sudden that Daniel finally just opened up to Luce after he treated her bad at the start. They also changed some scenes that were for certain characters with another character. The backstory of the some of the characters were also changed like Daniel not having any record but in the book it said that he was from an orphanage. There were only two things that I like which were the wings and Penn. I really loved the wings they created. It was bright and amazing looking. Not like I imagined they would be but pretty awesome. I love Penn so much in the movie. She was very supportive of Luce and was always there to comfort her. I hate what happened to her.



FIFTY SHADES OF GREY DARKER (15)

'You wanted hearts and flowers.'
RATING: 6.3/10; I am shocked that it managed to make me cry.
SUMMARY: Christian Grey and Ana Steele tries to make things work and they try to get past the obstacles that get in their way; Based on a book by EL James.
REVIEW: First of all, I really like the Fifty Shades trilogy. I did not like the first book adaptation but this is better. I found it accurate to the book which really made me happy. I liked seeing the story in movie form. Dakota and Jamie still had little chemistry but it was better than the first movie. I did not feel what I felt in the book but it was able to make me feel something positive (unlike the first where I felt bored). I actually enjoyed it a lot. If you want to watch this because of the sex scenes, don't. It will disappoint you. I feel that the second and third book did not focus on that much. Sure, it occurred many times in the book but it wasn't really the main focus anymore so I didn't expect that much from this adaptation. Sadly, some of the scenes felt rushed. Like, they tried to pack every major point of the story but some were like seen briefly. Overall, I still like the film. It managed to make me feel things that made me happy and some that made me sad.



LA LA LAND (16)

'People love what other people are passionate about.'
RATING: 7.8; I kept saying no and crying near the epilogue and the epilogue.
SUMMARY: A jazz enthusiast falls in love with an aspiring actress.
REVIEW: First of all, I loved all the songs. The beats were fun and exciting to listen to. When there is a slow song, you can really feel the lyrics. Especially Mia's audition song. Second, I love Emma Stone. I just kept fangirling over her majority of the film. Plus, her I love her wardrobe. Third, the cinematography was perfect. The setting of the scenes and shots of the film was really pretty to see. Fourth, the dancing was amazing. I love how in-sync they are even though they didn't really know each other at first (Also, the crowds). I really don't know why I thought this would make me really happy. The epilogue broke my heart into a million pieces. Overall, it was an amazing musical. Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling were cute together.



THE DUFF (16)

'In the end, it's not about popularity or even getting the guy. It's about understanding that no matter what label is thrown your way, only you can define yourself.'
RATING: 8.3/10; Really made me happy.
SUMMARY: A girl tries to change her image in school when she finds out that she's a duff - the designated, ugly, fat, friend; Based on a book by Kody Keplinger (I haven't read it).
REVIEW: I really love this movie. It was adorable and hilarious to watch. I love Mae Whitman as Bianca. It was a story about friends and accepting yourself for who you are. I love the story and the relationships between the characters. There were definitely cringe-worthy scenes that make me want to skip it (Because I knew it was too embarrassing or would end up humiliating Bianca) but it was still amazing. I hate that Madison's friend always kept appearing at random places. The mall I could understand but the forest in the middle of nowhere really? I love the love-hate relationship between Wes and Bianca at first but you could feel that they really knew each other well. I love how adorable they are towards each other. It's funny they broke the stereotypes between the Jocks and some other label. I hate Toby. I love Bianca's friends. Even though they weren't speaking, they still helped her (though it was kind of too late). I love that they made up and cleared up the misunderstanding. I love Bianca's mom too even though she randomly pops out. She's very supportive of her daughter and it was wonderful to see.



MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL (17)

'There are some who call me...Tim'
RATING: 3.5/10
SUMMARY: King Arthur and his knights search for the Holy Grail.
REVIEW: It's not a bad movie, I just didn't appreciate many parts of it. It's not a type of movie I would normally like plus I actually don't like the story of King Arthur so yeah I'm kind of biased about this movie. There were still some parts that made me laugh but some parts I got annoyed. Plus, I didn't appreciate what happened in the end. It was very weird for me. The weird level that I do not like.



VERONIKA DECIDES TO DIE (17)

'I don't think you should leave this life without knowing how far you can go.'
RATING: 5.8/10
SUMMARY: After Veronika's failed attempt to commit suicide, she learns that she only has weeks to live; Based on a book by Paulo Coelho (Haven't read).
REVIEW: I actually felt overwhelmed by Veronika's decision in the beginning. I kind of kept looking for what really triggered her to commit suicide all throughout the movie (I mean sure what she said in the beginning may be her biggest reason but I thought there was more like if she lost a child or something since she mentioned a 2000 when asked when she was born which couldn't possible be 2000). I was not in the mood to appreciate the movie by the middle part. I was kind of bored and I felt weird at some of the things that was happening. The part that redeemed the movie for me was the plot twist part. I was really shocked by what happened but I was actually amazed that Dr. Blake thought of that. I was glad for the ending.



FINDING DORY (17)

'And that's because the best things happen by chance.'
RATING: 8.8/10
SUMMARY: Dory finally remembers something from her past and triggers her to start a journey to find her family.
REVIEW: I really love this movie. It was full of adventure and fun. The majority of the characters made me really happy. Dory was so cute when she was little. I felt really sad when her backstory was discussed. It was really heartbreaking. I was glad that she finally remembered and got what she wanted in the end. The twist and turn of the events was exciting to watch. Hank was an adorable new character to see. Although he was kind of mean at first, he latched on to my heart. Destiny and Bailey were another additional lovely characters. I shipped them so much. Plus, the scenes with the otters was so cute!! I was very happy when I was watching this movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...