Monday 12 June 2017

| MOVIES - Musical Suggestions |

No Disney Musicals here. 
  1. THE SOUND OF MUSIC: This is a classic. This is probably the only musical that my dad listens too. The songs are very amazing and the story between Maria and the Von Trapp Family are adorable and lovely. The development of Captain Von Trapp's character was heartwarming to see. Plus, Julie Andrews is an amazing singer and a lovely actress. She's the queen and I love that she's the actress for Maria. I love watching this randomly. It's a musical worth repeating over and over.
    Favorite Song: Edelweiss, Do Re Mi, My Favorite Things
  2. PHANTOM OF THE OPERA: Andrew Lloyd Webber is such an amazing composer. The songs in the phantom of the opera are 'hauntingly beautiful' and wonderful to listen too. The movie wasn't quite an impressive adaption but still the story between Raoul, Christine and Phantom was quite intriguing to watch. I also love the fact that the actor for Phantom in the film is Gerard Butler and I love watching him sing. It's an interesting musical to listen too.
    Favorite Song: Phantom of the Opera, All I Ask of You, Think of Me
  3. LOVE NEVER DIES: Love Never Dies is a sequel to Phantom of the Opera. It's not really a film but more like a recorded version of a real musical performed in a theater. Finding out what happened after the events in the Phantom of the Opera was quite interesting. However, some of the events here may clash with the ending and the development in the Phantom of the Opera movie. Assume an open mind while watching this because of that. I really love this musical. I love the songs except weirdly for the song 'Love Never Dies'. Ben Lewis is the perfect phantom for me. His voice is really amazing it gives me goosebumps.
    Favorite Song: Til I Hear You Sing, Bathing Beauty, Devil Take the Hindmost
  4. MISS SAIGON: Like in Love Never Dies, the copy I have of this is not really a film but more like a recorded version of a real musical performance in a theater. If you want to see Lea Salonga as Kim, I believe there is a complete copy in Youtube. I love the songs in Miss Saigon. There are some upbeat and some heartbreaking ones. I only watched the whole musical recently and it broke my heart. Kim was such an admirable character and her willingness to do everything for her son was amazing. Though it led to some heartbreaking events.
    Favorite Song: Sun and Moon, Last Night of the World, I Still Believe
  5. SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET: Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, and Alan Rickman, what more could you ask for? I really love the film version of this (I haven't seen any theater version). The songs are haunting and beautiful. It has a really dark tone all throughout the film and it's awesome. It's dark, gory and amazing. Johnny Deep is amazing as Sweeney Todd. The story is very suspenseful and heartbreaking especially in the end. It revolves around Sweeney's plot for revenge towards the judge who wrongfully convicted him to many years.
    Favorite Song: A Little Priest, No Place Like London, Poor Thing
  6. LES MISERABLES: I really disliked the film version of this musical because of Russell Crowe. Ugh. If you want to know the story you can watch it or watch the old version starring Liam Neeson and Geoffrey Rush. For the songs watch the 10th Anniversary Concert in Youtube. That's the amazing version. I love the songs of this musical. I actually read the book by Victor Hugo when I was in High School. It was interesting except for Marius's life story which was boring af. I love this because even though Jean Valjean was treated as a criminal for many years of his life, it did not change his outlook on life and his willingness to help others like the way the priest helped him.
    Favorite Song: On My Own, Master of the House, The Confrontation
  7. INTO THE WOODS: I actually did not like the musical very much because it was quite long and somewhat boring. Many point of view were seen and some were not at all interesting. The merging of the different fairy tales were interesting though. The thing that redeemed the whole movie to me was Meryl Streep's voice. I was really amazed by her singing. I also loved the songs but some I would have preferred to listen to another version. I love that the story revolves around the theme of be careful what you wish for. Plus, Chris Pine is Prince Charming. I loved the line, "I was raised to be charming, not sincere."
    Favorite Song: Prologue: Into the Woods, Agony, Stay With Me
  8. CHICAGO: I love the fact that it revolves around the crime that Roxie committed and the events were told via song and/or dance numbers. It was very entertaining to watch. I also love the songs since they were quite Jazzy. There were some song-dance productions that were really amazing to see.
    Favorite Song: Mr. Cellophane, All That Jazz, Cell Block Tango

No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...