Sunday 10 January 2016

Vacation from Hell :)

Title: Vacation from Hell
Pages: 156 (EBook)

Rating: 3.5/5

I found this randomly and since I like short stories I decided to give this a try. It's also great that I know 4 out of 5 (Bray, Clare, Gray, Johnson) authors of the short stories in here. Though I haven't read any books by 2 (Bray, Gray) of those 4.

The stories in this book are really interesting. There's only one that I didn't really like that much but all the others were alright.


1) Cruisin by Sarah Mlynowski
Setting: Cruise to Nowhere
Summary: Two friends went on a cruise where they met another girl who told them about the news of people missing from cruises.
Rating: 2/5
Review: The writing was alright. The plot was not really that interesting for me and I did not like the lead characters. I thought they were kind of annoying. Plus, I did not think the plot twist matched the actions and other random information in the book.

2) I Don't Like Your Girlfriend by Claudia Gray
Setting: North Carolina, USA
Summary: Cecily, a teenage witch, suspects that her rival, a mean girl named Kathleen is up to bad things on their family's yearly reunion. 
Rating: 3.5/5
Review: The story was simple but entertaining. I kind of liked it even thought I usually don't like books/stories with witches in it. I liked the plot twist but the outcome really sucks for Cecily. I like her with her brother because it's true to life. Kathleen was really such a terrible and selfish person. 
Lesson: Don't abuse the power given to you. Don't use it for your own selfish desires.

3) The Law of Suspects by Maureen Johnson
I'm loggin off now and going back to my room. And I am going to ask them to up my meds. I like it here, nice and safe, with no sharp things and everyone all locked up. It is, sa Gerard would say, better than the alternative.
Setting: Provence, France
Summary: While Charlie and her sister MaryLou were waiting for their cousin, Charlie wanders around in Provence looking for a signal when she meets a weird guy looking for his dog who tells her a story that's supposed to make the person who hears it commit murder.
Rating: 4.5/5
Review: Out of the five stories, this is the one I liked best. The start was kind of dull but the story gets interesting after a while. The plot twist and events was really suspenseful and creepy. It was also kind of gruesome. I found the characters interesting and really weird. The ending made me laugh even though it sucks for Charlie. Stupid MaryLou xD.

4) The Mirror House by Cassandra Clare
Setting: Black River, Jamaica
Summary: Carol and Phillip went to Jamaica for their honeymoon, they brought their children, Evan and Violet for family bonding. Whilst there, Evan and Violet met a mysterious woman named Anne Palmer who lives in a house decorated with mirrors.
Rating: 3.75/5
Review: Even though it's written by Cassandra Clare, I did not love it but I did like it. The story was simple but interesting. I liked the ending because it brought justice to a character that abuses women. Anne is really just someone who believes in her twisted beliefs. She thinks and does what she thinks is best because of her experiences. Violet did have a point on who she should just target.

5) Nowhere is Safe by Libba Bray
Mrs Smith bristled. "I can tell your fortune right now without even consulting your palm. 
"You can?" 
"Yes. You are an idiot. You will always be an idiot."
Setting: Eastern Europe
Summary: A group of friends decided to visit a mysterious town in Eastern Europe known for their dealings with the devil for their good fortune and survival. 
Rating: 4/5
Review: This story was weird but good. It was entertaining and suspenseful. Those guys were really stupid because who in their right mind would think about going to a devil worshiper town. That premise alone wouldn't make me want to go there even if it's not real. A lot of things happen for a short story and it really fun. The ending was kind of abrupt thought but the format of the story was really great. I liked the characters. They had funny interactions. Mrs. Smith for the win! I love that old fortune teller.
Lesson: Don't go to creepy and remote towns.





No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...