Sunday 10 January 2016

Shadow and Bone Review :)

TitleShadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
Pages: 215 (Ebook)
Series: The Grisha #1

Summary: A girl discovers that she has a power that could help in making the lives of the citizens in their country better.

Rating: 3.5/5

"They are orphans again, with no true home but each other and whatever life they can make together on the other side of the sea."

I decided to give this a try after reading Leigh Bardugo's short story, "The Witch of Duva" in the Fierce Anthology which was really good.  However, after reading this book I was kind of disappointed because I had high expectations. It wasn't bad but I wasn't amazed. I actually don't know why I didn't enjoy it that much because I found the world, story, and character fascinating. Maybe it was because I wasn't in the reading mood or something.

Writing: Leigh Bardugo's writing is pretty good. Although, there were times were I kind of felt bored - about midway in the book. My brain didn't want to process the different types of Grisha's (even though there were just three) and the color of their kefta. The only one I remember is the Darkling's color. Black. Maybe I would've enjoyed it better if it wasn't on the first person point of view.

World & Story: The Grisha world is really a unique one. It's the first time I read a book that uses Russia as the basis and I liked it. The twists and turns of the plot did a really good thing for the book. It kept the story really intriguing.

BEWARE: The following sections will kind of include spoilers.

Characters: 
  • Darkling: I know he's the villain but I can't help but like him. I want him to redeem himself in the next books! Did he really just trick Alina? 
  • Alina: "I’m sorry, I whispered to it. I’m sorry I left you so long in the dark. I’m sorry, but I’m ready now."
    I found Alina kind of whiny in the beginning but she was alright in the end. I felt bad for her when she couldn't access her power on her own and when she figured out why. 
  • Mal: Like with Alina, I didn't like him at first. I thought he was kind of a playboy but I did like their friendship. I liked him well enough in the end.
  • Genya: I really admire her fierceness. Even though she's technically a servant, she doesn't really let it bother her. I like that her skill is really unique. It may be somewhat useless in the battle but hey maybe you could use it to trick your enemy that you're not tired during a war. HAHA. Also, I wanted her to remove my eye bags xD 
  • Alexei: “Peasant,” Alexei said, and dismissed her with a wave.
    I really liked Alexei even though he had a short appearance in the book. I found his characteristics funny for some reason. It's too bad he had to go.
Friendships:
  • Alina-Genya: I like how Genya stayed with her when she arrived in the palace. I like how they got along. How Genya told her about David (I still find it funny that he's the only named like a normal character) and when she warned her about the Darkling.
  • Alina-Mal: I liked their friendship even though at first they had issues. I like how well they know each other and even though they had issues, they resolved it in the end. 
  • Alina-Alexei: For some reason I liked their interactions. How Alexei gave her drawings for stories. I felt sad when Alexei got taken by a Volcra and Alina wasn't able to save him.
Relationships:
  • Alina-Mal: “I’m sorry it took me so long to see you Alina. But I see you now.”
    It's a great thing too that they got together in the end because they're cute together. 
  • Alina-Darkling: I really shipped them at first. When Baghra told her what the Darkling planned, it was a heartbreaking moment because I didn't want to believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...