Friday 15 January 2016

Shadowhunters EP1 & 2.

So, the TV Series adaptation of The Mortal Instruments premiered the other day plus the second episode. I waited for that for a while and finally decided to watch it.

When I first watched it, I was truly disappointed. It didn't follow the timeline of events in the book and kind of diverged from the plot entirely. However, I tried to give it another chance and re-watched it without the mindset that it follows the books and it became kind of alright to me. It wasn't that great but it wasn't bad (Like Vampire Academy movie bad). I kind of didn't like the plot reveal at the end of episode 2 because it was too early for that. I felt it was kind of rushed.

Acting: 6/10
Cinematography: 6/10
CGI: 6/10
Story: 7/10
Props: 6/10
Overall Rating: 6/10


BEWARE: Contains spoilers.

MY THOUGHTS ON:

1) Kat McNamara as Clary Fray: Kat is really pretty but at first I did not like her acting but when I re-watched it my thoughts changed to kind of alright. There were still some scenes where I did not like her acting because it kind of felt and looked awkward. Plus, I did not like her outfit after the Ravener Demon scene - it did not feel like something Clary would wear. Too sexy. I like Lily Collins more.


2) Dominic Sherwood as Jace Wayland: I liked Dom in Vampire Academy. He's the only one I liked there but I kind of don't see him as Jace yet here. He's not really that much sarcastic as Jace is in the book and he's too touchy with Clary. I don't feel their chemistry yet. I prefer Jamie Campbell Bower at the moment. I like that they included their fear of Izzy's cooking though.

3) Matthew Daddario as Alec Lightwood: Matthew is really really handsome and tall. I like him so much. Some of his lines are pretty mean but kind of funny. I like his sibling relationship with Izzy. Still, I liked Kevin Zeger's acting a little bit more though.

4) Emeraude Toubia as Isabelle Lightwood: I find Emeraude really pretty and sexy but I don't feel her as Izzy yet. She's like the happy, friendlier and kind of too flirty version of Izzy. I don't see and feel her fierceness. Where is Izzy's ruby necklace?

5) Alberto Rosende: I really like him as Simon. He's got the awkward and funny personality of Simon and he was really entertaining in the first two episodes. The only time I ever laughed out loud was during one of his scenes. I really like his friendship with Clary and I loved the scene where he covered Clary with a jacket when she wore that revealing outfit.

6) Harry Shum Jr as Magnus Bane: I really like his hand gesture. I found Harry awesome as Magnus during that scene. Magnus in EP2 wasn't really the Magnus from the book. They made him run. Magnus wouldn't have run. He would have stayed and fight. But seriously that line. Why haven't they met yet!

7) Alan Van Sprang as Valentine Morgenstern: All I wanted was a Valentine who wore suits. I'm so happy. I find Alan's acting really great. I could feel her devotion to Jocelyn during the scene where they took her. I wish he had more hair though. I really didn't like movie Valentine.
8) Isaiah Mustafa as Luke Garroway: I find him as a badass character but I think his other expressions aren't really that profound. I can't really compare him with book and movie Luke because they're too different.
9) Maxim Roy as Jocelyn Fray: I find her alright but kind of dry. I liked Lena Headey better.

OTHER ISSUES:
1) I did not like the mood of the series. I preferred the one in the movie.
2) The CGI looked kind of fake (especially the monsters) and the weapons looked plastic. 

3) The institute - how it contained modern equipment and gadgets. It looked wrong. Plus, there's too many people there.

4) Valentine's men, the circle members, didn't look badass and frightening. They looked pretentious. I preferred the Pangborn and Blackwell in the movie.

5) The involvement of mundane police. I don't get why they need to add that.
6) Magnus Bane's party was not there. Malec haven't met yet.
7) Alec's eyes are supposed to be blue. Like Will's.
8) Jace's eyes are supposed to be gold. That means something in the book.

Overall, I think I would still continue watching it in the future but I wouldn't really feel to depressed even if it's cancelled (Opposite of what I felt when Constantine and The Player were cancelled).

No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...