Sunday 1 October 2017

| MOVIES - SEPTEMBER PART 1 |

THE ROAD TO EL DORADO


SYNOPSIS: Two thieves managed to find their way to El Dorado, the city of Gold.

RATING: 7.8/10


NON-SPOILERY REVIEW: 

This movie is full of fun and adventures. It is full of funny scenes, lines, and interactions and the songs are catchy. Also, El Dorado is a beautiful city. I liked Miguel and Tulio's friendship. Even though they had their issues, they manage to resolve things. Although they were kind of greedy, they managed to do right things. Plus, Altivio, the horse, is so adorable.


WATER FOR ELEPHANTS

"I don't know if I picked that circus. But something told me that circus picked me."
SYNOPSIS: A man decided to run away and accidentally stumbled upon a traveling circus which he joined

RATING: 9/10


NON-SPOILERY REVIEW: 


    I avoided this movie for a long time because I thought it would be boring. I was very wrong. The movie was beautiful and it was very interesting to watch. The cinematography was great and Rosie was fun to watch. I really loved seeing the story unfold and the life in the circus was also intriguing and mesmerizing to see. 

   The actors did a good job portraying their roles and they had a lot of chemistry. Robert Pattinson was amazing as Jacob who is an amazing and caring character. I love how he fought for what he wanted and he took great care of the animals. Reese Witherspoon as Marlena was also amazing. She was beautiful and her stunts with the animals were also beautiful. Lasly, Christoph Waltz was intimidating and charming as August. I was legitimately scared of him at some point but he was mesmerizing.


OKJA


SYNOPSIS: Mija decided to go on a journey to get her bestfriend, Okja - a genetically engineered pig, back from a company that took her.

RATING: 8/10


NON-SPOILERY REVIEW: 


    I loved this movie. It was really interesting and it dealt with an interesting topic: animal abuse. Even though the animal (superpig) was fictional, the events that happened to them could be true in real life and it could open our mind about what is happening with the meat we eat. The way the story unfolded hurt me so much because we saw how much Mija cared for Okja and Okja suffered so much throughout the film. I wanted more justice in the end but we could see that the movie showed a more realistic approach with how it ended. 

    The cinematography of this movie was beautiful. The superpigs looked scarily realistic. Seo Hyun Ah was a great cast for Mija because she was amazing. She was able to touch the hearts of the watchers (at least for me) and you could see how genuine her love is for Okja.


INCEPTION

"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed - fully understood - that sticks; right in there somewhere."
SYNOPSIS: A group of people who uses dream technology decided to plant an idea in someone's mind.

RATING: 8.3/10


NON-SPOILERY REVIEW: 

It took me years before I finally watched this movie and it was worth it. The movie was very interesting. The use of the dream world was very tricky. If you don't focus much while watching the movie, you will get lost. There are many little interesting details and unexpected twist and turns. I loved seeing how the story unfolded.


GROUNDHOG DAY

"Well, what if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today."
SYNOPSIS: An arrogant weatherman had to repeat a day he hated over and over again.

RATING: 9/10


NON-SPOILERY REVIEW: 

At first, I thought that the movie was going to be boring since it had to repeat the same day over and over but it wasn't. I loved the movie. It had a lot of funny lines and scenes which made me laugh out loud but there were also serious ones (especially after Phil got over the fun part and lost his mind). Phil had a much needed character development and it was amazing to see him change.


TO THE BONES

"Bad things are going to happen. That's not negotiable. What is, is how you deal with it."
SYNOPSIS: A story about a girl who has anorexia.

RATING: 7/10


NON-SPOILERY REVIEW: 

The film had beautiful cinematography. The topic it talked about was difficult to see. I couldn't relate to it but it was hard seeing Ellen. She was so scarily thin and I felt scared for her. I felt that the movie was lacking something and it ended in an abrupt way. I kind of wish there was more. Still, Lily Collins did an amazing way portraying Ellen.


WHAT HAPPENED TO MONDAY?

"What happens to one of you, happens to all of you."
SYNOPSIS: In a world where there must only be one child in a family, a set of septuplets must avoid the government discovering the truth about them.

RATING: 8.5/10


NON-SPOILERY REVIEW: 

This movie had a very interesting concept about what could happen in the future. It was interesting seeing things unfold. It was full of action, mystery, and deceit. I feel bad for all the family who had many children especially after the twist was revealed. Plus, Noomi Rapace did an amazing job portraying her roles.


DESPICABLE ME 3


SYNOPSIS: Gru finds out that he has a twin brother named Dru.

RATING: 6/10


NON-SPOILERY REVIEW: 

The movie still had it's funny moments but it's not the same as the first ones. You can really feel that the franchise has simply been extended for far too many films. The plot including Gru's twin brother was kind of fun but not enough and Balthazar Bratt was just annoying. Still, the minions and Agnes are there to make you want to see it because they are just too adorable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...