Friday 15 December 2017

| One Dark Throne by Kendare Blake |

PAGES: 331 (Ebook)
SYNOPSIS: The fight for the throne between the three sisters - Mirabella, Kat, Arsinoe - continues.

RATING: 4/5
REVIEW: I really thought that this was the last book of this series (because it originally was). My mindset about what to expect about the book was ruined because of it. I got mad. Still, this was a great book. The continuation of the story was still pretty interesting. I like the twists and turns that Kendare Blake put. I love how the story panned out. It still remained dark and mysterious. There were characters that I grew to love here even though I hated them in the first book. Billy is the best! There were devastating events that happened that I really didn't think would be devastating for me. I wonder what will happen in the sequel?

PS: There will now be five books for this series!



FAVORITE QUOTES
"Queen Katharine is not so devious as to poison these three particular pears from one particular tree in one particular orchard in one of the many parks in Rolanth. And if she is," she says to Mirabella though the side of her mouth, "then she deserves to win."

"Don't be daft," he says into her hair. "No matter how far I go, I'm still your person. We stand together now."


"How do they seem?"

"Rather like buffoons," Jules replies honestly. "But remember that you thought the same of Billy when he first arrived."
"Aye, but what are the chances of me being wrong twice?"

"Why is there a chicken in your cart?"

"Because this was supposed to be chicken stew," he said. "I've been hand-feeding this bird for days to be sure it was not poisoned before the fact. And now..." He pours Mirabella some water and drinks from her cup. The hen clucks, and Billy tosses down a chunk of bread.
"Now her name is Harriet," he says quietly.
Mirabella laughs.

"You spoiled bear." Arsinoe pats Baddock on the shoulder, and he waddles away, his coat as glossy as a great brown's as she has ever seen. Wolf Spring has made him fat and sleek, well-fed on only the best of the catch.


'Why couldn't you be wretched? Don't you have any manners? You should've had the courtesy to be terrible. So I could despise you."

"I am sorry. Shall I start now? Spit in your eye and kick you?"
"That sounds like something Arsinoe would do, actually. So I would find it endearing.

"My room is too quiet," he says. "I miss Harriet and her clucking."

"Harriet will be well, with Joseph's family?" she asks.
"She'd better be. If I return to find her in a stew pot..." Billy trails off.

"I should have told her. I never told her."

"I am sure that she knew."
"How could she? All I did was tell her that she was unfit. Unsuitable. Infuriating, with none of the makings a man looks for in a wife." He laughs hollowly. "And that was true. But I would have overlooked all that."

"Arsinoe, you dolt! Stay in bed!"

"Dolt? What a thing to say when I've almost died."

It is crushed hopes. The air reeks of their bitterness.


Braddock greets him by standing up on his hind legs, and Billy screams.


"Natalia," she whispers. "My mother."

No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...