Wednesday 30 September 2020

| MOVIE - Contagion |



SYNOPSIS: A virus began spreading, and the doctors are trying to find a vaccine. Chaos started to ensue because of the pandemic. 

GENRE: Disaster, Action, Science Fiction
RATING: 5.3/10
We decided to watch this because it kept being suggested as one of the top disaster movies. I appreciated that it had a more realistic approach to how a virus would work, and how a cure would be developed, but honestly, I was quite bored. It looked more like a documentary rather than a movie, and it wasn't that good. Most of the scenes that were shown and the characters didn't have a connection to each other. It seemed like they had their own world. I think four subparts were shown, and they switched at random. Sometimes you'll be confused as to which subpart you are. You won't feel any attachment to anyone, so why even stick around? I don't get the point of having lead characters that don't have any effect on the plot. We only need the doctor, and possibly the first carrier. Sometimes it seems that they want to fight for something during the scenes, but it doesn't seem like that's the focus, so you'll just brush it aside. Also, you are supposed to fear what they are experiencing, yet it doesn't feel that way.
    SHOULD YOU WATCH IT: No, I think there are better documentaries than this.
    WOULD I WATCH IT AGAIN: Never again.

    WARNING: SPOILERS!

    • I get that Matt Damon was a carrier, yet he was immune, but after that, why even show him? We even got to see him take care of his daughter, but who cares?
    • Kate Winslet was also a weird addition to the cast. It seemed like we should be devastated that she would die, yet I didn't even care about her. 
    • I applaud the doctor that tested her own cure to herself to check if it would work. She made the process a whole faster. Although that technique is probably not allowed in real life. She was the only one worth watching in the entire movie.
    • I don't get the point of having Laurence Fishburne's character.
    • Only at the end do we find out why Gwyneth Paltrow was shown in the beginning. That was interesting to see, especially since we saw the process of how she came in contact with the infected specimen. Also, that was disgusting. 
    • Orantes' substory was confusing. I understand that it's to show how unfair the first world countries are to the ones third world countries, but it was just like something that was mentioned. Not focused on.
    • Jude Law's character was annoying. He deceived people at the cost of their lives, and I hated that. There are people like that in our society, especially since we are experiencing the same situation right now, and I hate them. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    | BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

    I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...