Friday 25 September 2020

| ANIME - Gugure! Kokkuri-San |

SYNOPSIS: Kohina played the Kokkuri Game and summoned the fox spirit, Kokkuri. He decided to stay as her guardian after seeing her unhealthy lifestyle.  

GENRE: Slice of Life, Fantasy, Comedy
NUMBER OF EPISODES: 12
RATING: 7.5/10
I honestly didn't expect I'd enjoy this as much as I did. I was only going to watch six episodes, but I ended up finishing it in one sitting. I came here for the handsome fox spirit, but I stayed for the bond. Don't expect much story from this. The only focus of the anime was the random shenanigans that happened in the life of Kokkuri and Kohina. The familial bond developed between the characters were so sweet and funny to watch. I like the type of humor used and the savage dialogues. It was just a light watch. I'll try reading the manga in the future since it's complete because I want to see more of Kokkuri and Kohina. 

In terms of art, I found it adorable. Kohina is usually in doll mode, and the others typically switch between their human-form and animal form. The human-forms are good-looking, while the animal-forms are so cute. I usually have a crush on fox-spirit characters, so that's a bonus.

In terms of the characters, I liked Kohina and Kokkuri. Kohina is such a mood in her coping mechanism. You can see how much she doesn't want to acknowledge her feelings because she's scared to explore new territories. On the other hand, Kokkuri is such a wonderful fox spirit. There were times where he was a bit weird, but you can feel how much he cares for Kohina. I love their bond. Inugami was a bit too weird, but there were rare times where I liked him. Shiragaki is hiding his personality - he is adorable, but there are times when he was too pervy. The other characters weren't that necessary, and they don't contribute much to the plot except for comic reliefs. There isn't much progress to the development of the characters, but I guess you can't expect much from a twelve-episode anime.

NOTE: If you don't want to stick for the whole twelve episodes, only watch the first and last ones. They were the best, and I enjoyed watching it a lot.

SHOULD YOU WATCH IT: If you want something light, heartwarming, and your type of humor involves savage dialogues, stupid interactions, green jokes, then yes.

WOULD I WATCH AGAIN: I probably might, but I would skip some episodes. 


SPOILERY THOUGHTS AND REACTIONS


THINGS THAT STILL REMAIN A QUESTION:

  • What happened to Kohina's family? Why is she alone?

  • What happened in the past between Kohina and Kokkuri? What promise did Kokkuri make with her?

  • I don't know what spirits really are in this world. They seem more like ghosts than gods?


THINGS I ENJOYED:

  • The whole first episode. It went through a rollercoaster ride of emotions. The beginning was hilarious. Kohina just casually locked the window on Kokkuri. The banter between Kokkuri and Kohina was hilarious. I especially love her asking him different questions that he didn't know the answer to, yet he claims he's better than google. Also, when he said something perverted, she called the police on him! I laughed out loud. Near the end, we got to see Kohina lose Kokkuri, and it was so heartbreaking. I dislike that Kokkuri's method to make Kohina appreciate him is to pretend he left her. I was happy when they were reunited, though.


  • Sometimes I'm not sure if Kohina is dumb, or if she just wants to annoy other people HAHAHA. Her line of thought is honestly relatable and such a mood.


  • It was funny that Kokkuri thought that Kohina was playing in his shrine when she was young, yet she was putting a curse on somebody.


  • I love that the end credits show some random cute animals.

  • Kohina's mind games are hilarious. 

    • She made Kokkuri have an existential crisis.

    • She managed to trick Inugami into accepting that Shigaraki would be the one to walk with him. 


  • I love that Kohina enjoys touching the pads of their feet.


  • I love that Kohina can't smile on command, yet she was able to smile because she was with Kokkuri-san. It was also adorable that the only reason why she tried smiling was to make sure that Kokkuri won't dislike her.


  • I love that Kohina manages to sneak her ramen eating whenever Kokkuri is out. Still, whenever she is not feeling good, Kokkuri lets her eat it. It was adorable.


  • I love that one of the rare bonding experience that Inugami and Kokkuri had was when Kohina declared that she was a cat person. Also, the cat was cute.


  • I love that Kokkuri's weapon against Inugami was a frying pan. 


  • Inugami reminds me of Minato Arisato from Persona 3. 


  • It was funny and heartbreaking when Shigaraki played the ramen trick towards Kohina.

  • Shigaraki's original animal-form was hideous. I never want to see that again. Also, it's funny whenever he tries to pretend that he's Kohina when interacting with Inugami.


  • It was hilarious that nobody cares that Yamamoto-san is an alien, especially since it bothers Kokkuri a lot. Sometimes this has Gintama humor.


  • I don't understand how Inugami and Kokkuri were able to enroll at Kohina's school.

  • Shigaraki's intervention with the cyclops monster and Kohina was touching. He let her do what she wants because he could tell that she really wants to take care of the cyclops, yet he intervened when the cyclops attacked Kohina. He even got cursed. He didn't tell her the truth to hide her from the pain. I love him for that. Also, it was adorable that he was worried about her because he knew that Kokkuri would be sad if something happened to her.


  • I love Kokkuri's protectiveness towards Kohina.

  • It was hilarious that Kokkuri that Tama fell in love with him, and that's why she's following him. It was such a misleading scene.


  • It hilarious that nobody realized immediately that the doll was not Kohina. Honestly, that doll looked hideous as fuck.


  • I felt heartbroken for Kokkuri when he got stuck in his female form. You could tell home much he disliked that form because of the hardships he had to endure. She was pretty, though. I love Shigaraki for comforting her, even though he was a bit pervy towards. The way he changed back to his male form was hilarious. The moment before he returned to normal was sweet. I honestly shipped them a little bit there.


  • The first head of the Ichimatsu family was one sick bastard. What a twisted way of putting traps in your storage room. LOL.


  • The middle-aged jokes towards Kokkuri, and all his skin-care regiment, was hilarious.

  • It's funny that they wore swimsuits to the hot spring as a precaution towards Shigaraki.


  • The bald jokes about Kokkuri when it was shedding season was hilarious. The fluffy Kokkuri was adorable.


  • I was quite sad for Inugami when nobody tried to chase him when he told them he was running away. I'm glad that he got a little better after that, though. 


  • The story about Kureha, and the guy she was waiting for was beautiful. Still, it would've been better if they found out immediately, instead of wondering for a long time.


  • It was hilarious that Kokkuri just gave up on being an adult after taking care of baby Inugami and Shigaraki. Also, Kohina almost put them up in a pet shop. I was heartbroken for her, though, when Kokkuri forgot about her.


  • The up, up, and dead scene was hilarious.


  • The ending was beautiful. I didn't know why Kohina and Kokkuri were accompanying a guy they just met randomly in the streets, but it all made sense by the end, which was heartbreaking. It was just too bad for Inugami that Kokkuri and Kohina forgot about him.

  • A phobia of things I cannot sue. Oh my God. HAHAHAHAHA.


  • The lawyer's daughter was drinking during Christmas. She seems like an underage too!

  • Why does the Dragonball exist in Kohina's storage room??? The reference to other popular materials is hilarious.


  • I love that Kokkuri made such a wholesome wish during the New Year's.



THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE:

  • I don't understand why Inugami was so proud of being a stalker. His advances towards Kohina are too scary. She's a child, yet sometimes his approach is very sexual. It made me cringe most of the time, and that's why Inugami is one of my least liked characters. He was slightly better by the end, but he was still somewhat disturbing. It would've been better if his attachment to Kohina was something wholesome. I also disliked that he bullies Kokkuri!


  • Sometimes I like tsundere-type characters, yet, I didn't like Jimeko. I get that it was for the humor, but I found her brand of revenge too stupid. Who would try to bully someone by using flowers and spending money on them? Idk I just wanted to facepalm myself during her confrontation with Kohina. 

  • I hated Tengu. He was such a disturbing character. 

  • Tama was on the fence for me. I love cats, but I didn't like her character design. Also, her hobbies are weird. It was funny, though, that Kohina was able to free herself from her grasps. She's stupid for not believing that Kohina isn't a doll, and not realizing why she doesn't have customers. Her store is creepy.

  • I found it sad that they used suicide jokes and sexual harassment jokes. 


SUMMARY OF EVENTS
  1. Kohina played a game of Kokkuri and summoned Kokkuri. He decided to stay with her as her guardian.
  2. Inugami became part of their household. He had an unhealthy attachment towards Kohina because she comforted him when he was abandoned as a puppy.
  3. Another spirit, Shigaraki, decided to stay in their house. He was Kokkuri's old roommate.
  4. Jimeko revealed that she's the one who was bullying Kohina by leaving fresh flowers every day.
  5. Kohina befriends a small cyclops monster who tried to eat her. Shigaraki saved her.
  6. A cat god becomes enamored with Kohina. She thought Kohina was a doll and kidnapped her. 
  7. Kokkuri got turned into a woman, and Shigaraki won't stop making advances towards her. 
  8. They went to a hot spring trip with everyone. Kokkuri and Shigaraki went everywhere to search for a spa that removes the curse, with no such luck. They had a heart-to-heart talk and kissed, which turned Kokkuri back into his male-form.
  9. Kokkuri is put to a state of panic when he realized that he was shedding.
  10. Kokkuri and Kohina met Kureha. They helped her get reunited with her love, which she has been with all this time.
  11. Shigaraki and Inugami drank Kokkuri's water from the fountain of youth and got turned into a baby. Kokkuri got so stressed when he was taking care of them that he also drank the water from the fountain of youth. Kohina got fed up with them and almost called the orphanage or vet.
  12. Kokkuri and Kohina helped a dead man celebrate Christmas with his daughter before he goes to the afterlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...