Friday 25 September 2020

| JAPANESE MOVIE - Hyouka: Forbidden Secrets |

SYNOPSIS: Oreki gets entangled with Chitanda Eru. Together with the other members of the Classics Club, they try to uncover the mystery of what happened to Sekitani Jun.
  
GENRE: Drama, Mystery
RATING: 7.5/10
I just decided to watch this for Kento Yamazaki and ended up enjoying watching this adaptation a lot. The problem I had with the anime was that it had too many parts that aren't that necessary. This adaptation managed to capture the essence of Hyouka. We lost the beautiful visuals of the anime, but we got to focus on the actual mystery that the Hyouka story had, and honestly, there was an improvement here. It gave out more feels and was able to break my heart in a new way. There was a less bonding experience here between the characters, but it was alright for me. I still liked the friendship between Oreki and Satoshi. 
Kento Yamazaki was great in his performance as Oreki. I prefer him over the anime version. Alice Hirose was alright, but I didn't feel like she was able to embody Chitanda's enthusiasm.

SHOULD YOU WATCH IT: If you want to know what Hyouka is all about without watching the anime. Also, if you just want more Hyouka.

WOULD I WATCH AGAIN: If somebody wanted to watch it with me, I would join them willingly.


SPOILERY THOUGHTS AND REACTIONS


THINGS I ENJOYED:

  • They were able to add additional content to the actual event of what happened to Sekitani Jun. Aside from the school building getting burned, a student got hurt. It added emotional impact because we got to see that it was Sekitani Jun that rescued her. He got expelled for something that he didn't start, and he even saved the girl. Nobody even defended him.


  • The actual meaning of Hyouka still gives me chills.


  • It's great that we still don't know what happened to Sekitani Jun. He's like Schrodinger's cat. I also like that they gave Sekitani Jun a place where he could rest (Benares part) even if they don't know the whole truth about what happened to him.


  • I like how savage Oreki is here compared to the anime counterpart. My favorite scene was where he pushed Ibara off the table, and he didn't give any fucks about where she landed.


  • Kento Yamazaki is so adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...