Tuesday 4 August 2020

| ANIME MOVIE - Weathering With You |

Tenki no Ko
SYNOPSIS: In a world full of rain, Hodaka meets Hina, a girl who can bring sunshine.

GENRE: Drama, Romance, Fantasy
RATING: 5/10
I didn't have high hopes for this, and that was a good thing. During the first half, the movie was quite okay. I enjoyed the bonds that developed between the characters. They felt like a family. However, when the conflicts were introduced, it felt too absurd, unrealistic, and unconnected. I really don't understand why it had to be Hina and Hodaka's problem. Also, the police aspect was too much. Moreover, I think that the story had some flaws and plot holes, especially about Hina and Hodaka's backstories. Some parts felt like they were just randomly inserted in between scenes. 

The art was still beautiful, and the music was okay, but it wasn't really that impactful. Some scenes felt lacking. The music didn't make me want to listen to it again after the movie. I really loved the design of the food, though.

In terms of the characters, most of them were okay, but I honestly didn't care about them. The main characters aren't really that likable. I think that Hodaka is stupid, impulsive, and immature. He only does what he wants without thinking about how it would affect the future and other people near him. Hina was alright, but she felt shallow. There's not much to her apart from being the sunshine girl. I didn't really care about their romance.

Overall, I think that the story was okay, but it had flaws, wasn't really that impactful, and the characters weren't stellar. It wasn't on par with Makoto Shinkai's other works. 

SPOILERY THOUGHTS AND REACTIONS

  • I didn't really see the connection of the non-stop rain to their story. In the real world, they wouldn't be able to stop the rain. I guess it was just to high-up the stakes on their romance, but honestly, who cares? It's admirable that Hodaka chose Hina over the sunshine, but I don't really see why Hina had to sacrifice herself in the first place. It shouldn't have been her job to do that. I don't even know where and how she got her powers.
  • Some posts say that the movie shows global warming, but in my mind, the scenario is different. Global warming would be brought about by humans abusing nature. In their case, it didn't stop raining, which caused the flood. Humans can't stop that. Maybe the idea was to just show how the world would look like if it became too flooded? I don't know.
  • It's insane that Hodaka thought that Natsumi is Kei's mistress. 
  • I found Kei's story, heartbreaking. He just wanted to be with the one he loves. Even her daughter was taken from him.
  • I found it weird that Hodoka calls confessions as proposing.
  • It was sad that Hina had to sacrifice herself to bring sunshine to other people, but I don't really get why she had to do that. She focused on other people's happiness, yet she didn't even think about how her brother would feel. 
  • It was cool and scary when Hina prayed for something to save them, and then a thunderbolt struck a car.
  • Hodaka's thoughts are so immature. I disliked him a lot. I still don't know why he ran away. What was his goal of going to Tokyo? He almost threw away his life for a girl. I get that it's supposed to be admirable to sacrifice things for the one you love, but it's not practical. I think he would have just made their life harder if they weren't caught by the police. Even after three years, I didn't think he matured. I really don't want him to end up with Hina.
  • Kei was stupid for opening his window and letting the flood inside his house. That irritated me so much.
  • It's funny that Nagi escaped the custody of the police by calling his ex-girlfriend and making her pretend to be him.
  • I hated the scene where Hodaka pointed the gun at Kei because he was trying to stop him from seeing Hina. There's no excuse for pointing a gun at someone who helped you. He was too impulsive. What if he accidentally pulled the trigger? Then, Kei's daughter would've lost him. Still, I loved that Kei still helped him go to Hina even after everything.
  • It's cute that Nagi still spends time with Kei, Natsumi, and his daughter.
  • It's adorable that Kei is the one who bonded with the cat that Hodaka took home. I love that by the end, the cat became fat.
  • I loved the cameo of Taki and Mitsuha. I fangirled a little bit.
  • It's funny that Nagi had a lot more experience with dating than his sister. Hodaka even calls him master. I hate that he's a womanizer, though. He was still so young, and he's already like that.
  • I felt bad when Kei told Hodaka to go back home. Still, he was right. Hodaka should've gone home and grown-up. 
  • I love the bond that developed between Kei, Hodaka, and Natsumi. I honestly wish that Hodaka never met Hina.

SUMMARY OF EVENTS
  1. Hodaka ran away from his home. He tried to live in Tokyo on his own but had a hard time surviving. He went to Kei, a guy he met on his way to Tokyo, and got a job. 
  2. Hodaka met Hina when he saved her from a pimp. He found out that Hina can change the weather if she prays. It hadn't stopped raining for a while now. They decided to make Hina's powers into a business, and so she started being the '100% sunshine girl'.
  3. Natsumi and Kei found out the story behind the sunshine girl. She is destined to have a tragic fate.
  4. They stopped the business after Hina was filmed. They decided to help Kei see his daughter.
  5. Hodaka bought Hina a gift for her birthday. He found out that Hina was disappearing because of her powers. She became the sunshine girl after she prayed to see the sunshine with her mother one last time.
  6. The police started looking for Hodaka. He was filed as missing by his family. The police thought that Kei kidnapped him. They searched for him at Hina's and found out that Hina is living alone with her brother, even though they are underage. The social service was going to take them and separate them. 
  7. Hodaka decided to run away with Hina and Nagi. They managed to evade the police and stayed at a hotel. 
  8. Hina thinks that if she sacrifices herself, the rain will stop. The next day, Hina disappeared, and the rain stopped. 
  9. Hodaka ran away from the police to get Hina back. Keisure and Nagi distracted the police so that Hodaka can get to the shrine and bring Hina back. He managed to get Hina back, but it started raining again.
  10. Three years later, the rain never stopped. Hodaka came back to Tokyo after graduating. He was able to reunite with Hina.

No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...