Tuesday 4 August 2020

| ANIME MOVIE - I Want To Eat Your Pancreas |


Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai
SYNOPSIS: The story about how Haruki met and befriended Sakura, and how it changed his life.

GENRE: Drama
RATING: 7.5/10
Nothing new with the story, but it was okay. I enjoyed watching the bond between the main characters develop. It was beautiful to see the friendship between someone who was the opposite of each other. I don't know if I wanted them together or I just enjoyed their bond, but the important thing is that they were able to make each other happy. For me, that was enough. 

Since you know what would happen from the start, it just gave a bittersweet feeling. I still don't know what to feel about how the whole thing played out, but I didn't hate it.  

There are two things I learned/felt from the movie: 
  • Don't just imagine scenarios in your head. Try to see how they would play out in real life first. Make an effort to at least try. 
  • Nothing is sure in life. Value each day and do your best. Make each day enjoyable. 
In terms of art, it was simple yet beautiful. The characters looked alright, but nothing stellar. I got slightly dizzy at the end part where Sakura was narrating her diary, but I liked that it followed the aesthetic of the Little Prince. I'm not sure about that, but that's what it felt to me.

In terms of the characters, they were okay.  I liked Sakura. She was fun and cheerful. However, underneath all that, you can feel that she's just hiding her worries. She didn't want to worry about her future, but it was still nagging behind her mind. However, there were times when she was annoying and didn't respect boundaries. Haruki was adorable, but there were times when he was dull. There was nothing wrong with how he was living his life, but you can feel that he was just afraid to try something new. I'm glad that we got to see him try new things and enjoy them. 

Overall, the movie was simple, but it was meaningful. 

SPOILERY THOUGHTS AND REACTIONS

  • I felt sad that Sakura never told Kyoko the truth about her disease. It was admirable that Kyoko lets her do what she wants and tried to protect her from getting hurt. Still, why didn't she push enough to find out why Sakura did that? It was unfair that Haruki is the one she gets angry at.
  • I agree with Sakura's reason for living. We need to interact with others to live life to the fullest, but still, you should be able to enjoy being by yourself from time to time. Haruki's lifestyle is okay too. I didn't get mad at her for dragging him away from that, because I felt that Haruki just wanted someone to open his world to the possibilities. He wasn't the person who strongly just doesn't like interacting with others. He just hasn't tried before. If he was, I think he wouldn't have agreed to Sakura's whims.
  • I hate Takahiro. He was such an asshole. He was so jealous when he wasn't even the boyfriend. He thinks that he's better than Haruki, which he is not.  I don't know how Haruki sees his actions as actions of someone who cares about Sakura. I was happy that Sakura didn't want to do anything with him.
  • I hated the scene where Kyoko got mad at Haruki, and his book fell and got wet because of the rain. The poor book!!!
  • It annoyed me that everyone in their class was so judgemental. Haruki didn't do anything, yet they treated him wrongly just because he doesn't act the way they expect him to. 
  • It annoyed me that just because Sakura was hanging out with the opposite sex, they automatically assume that they were dating. Why couldn't they be just friends? But I guess this is a high school setting. It could probably be the norm.
  • I honestly didn't see the twist coming. It made me pissed. Why was there a guy randomly stabbing people?
  • It was heartbreaking that it took Haruki ten days before he could accept what happened, and he finally broke down after reading Sakura's diary.

  • PARTS I LOVED:
    • Sakura kicked a guy for harassing an old lady.
    • Haruki's mother teased him if he had a girlfriend. It was adorable that she was happy that her son found someone to spend time with.
    • The hint that Kyoko is dating the Miyata, the gum dude. 
    • Haruki interacted with Miyata and asking him for gum. I love it because it was the first time Haruki interacted with anyone on his own.
    • Haruki thought that the Truth or Dare was a game created by Satan.
    • It's cute that Haruki tried to befriend Kyoko because he knew that it was what Sakura wanted. Their relationship was adorable, even if they argue a lot. I'm glad that they didn't start a romantic relationship. It remained pure and dedicated to Kyoko.

  • HARUKI AND SAKURA MOMENTS:
    • Haruki thought that Sakura was trying to make him fat because she kept taking him to food establishments.
    • Haruki kept asking wholesome questions about Sakura throughout the Truth or Dare game. 
    • Haruki admitted that he had fun on the trip. The look on Sakura's face was hilarious.
    • Haruki admitted that he was waiting for Sakura to contact him during the summer vacation.
    • It was heartbreaking when Sakura was hospitalized. It was great that Haruki visited her. The best moment was when he caught her dancing in the hospital room. The embarrassment on Sakura's face was adorable.
    • I never noticed that they never used each other's names. I love that their names go hand in hand with each other.
    • It was adorable that both of them remembered the line I Want To Eat Your Pancreas and used them for what they felt for each other. I loved that. It was beautiful, even if the line was sort-of creepy.
    • I like that Haruki kept accompanying Sakura. I think he was scared of her situation, but he was able to continue acting naturally because that's what Sakura wants. He's the best person for her to be around.
    • I hate the part where Sakura teased Haruki by making a move on him. It's not okay to do that to somebody. Haruki's response was also not good. 

SUMMARY OF EVENTS
  1. Sakura befriended a reluctant Haruki. She informed him of her terminal pancreatic illness. They started hanging out - restaurants, the beach.
  2. Sakura's school friends became curious as to why she was friends with Haruki. They didn't like him because of his anti-social personality. They think that he's weird.
  3. Sakura didn't want to tell her best friend about her disease. She only told Haruki because she knew that he wouldn't treat her differently.
  4. Sakura and Haruki went on a trip.
  5. Kyoko confronted Haruki about his intentions with Sakura.
  6. Haruki went to Sakura's home, and she teased him. He almost went too far in response.
  7. Sakura's ex-boyfriend, Takahiro, confronted Haruki and punched him. He thought that he was better than him. Sakura told him never to show his face again.
  8. They continued hanging out together and finished half of her dying list.
  9. Sakura was suddenly admitted to the hospital. Haruki visited her every day.
  10. They went to a fireworks festival. Haruki told her that he wants her to live.
  11. Haruki interacted with another person. He realized that he had changed.
  12. On the day of her discharge, they planned to meet. Haruki waited for her, but she never came. Later that night, he found out that she was stabbed and died.
  13. It took her ten days before he accepted what happened. He went to Sakura's house to ask for the diary that he knew she was keeping. He cried after reading her words. She thanked him for making her feel that she was needed. She was glad that they met.
  14. Haruki met with Kyoko and told her that Sakura was sick. He asked if they could be friends.
  15. One year later, Haruki and Kyoko went to Sakura's tomb. They were friends. Haruki started opening more to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...