Monday 31 December 2018

| 2018 MOST DISAPPOINTING READS |


I decided not to name this list my hated books of 2018 because I did not hate any of the books I will list below. Some of the reasons why these books disappointed me include not living up to the hype, some things did not click for me, something annoyed me big time, did not enjoy the characters, etc. 

Books that will show up here does not mean that I did not enjoy them. It just means that there was something iffy for me about the book.

Now here is my most disappointing reads of 2018 along with the reasons why!
NOTE: If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read the parts that are strikedthrough.
  1. When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon (3.6/5)
    • It felt overhyped for me. I saw this a lot in the booktube community and I did not understand all the hype. The story was okay but I had issues with the characters and some of the events.
    • Things escalated quickly and there were some scenes that weren't really necessary.
    • I did not really like Dimple's character. She was too selfish for my taste and kind of annoying too.
    • The web development part wasn't really focused even though it's one of the main point of the setting.
  2. What If It's Us By Becky Albertalli and Adam Silver (3.7/5)
    • Another overhyped book for me. I see why other people enjoyed this but it didn't work for me. The story and the writing was okay but I had some issues with the build up of the characters.
    • I like the concept of the meet cute but I really didn't feel the chemistry after they found each other. They were cute as friends but I wasn't buying them as a couple. I also got annoyed that they easily got mad at each other. Simply things that could be talked about caused major issues that didn't feel like a super big deal for me.
    • Also, I hate the fact that they did not really got together at the end (or at that point in time, no). The premise was based on that and then things don't work out?? Wtf man.
  3. Vengeful by VE Schwab (3.8/5)
    • I really did not feel the need for this second book after reading it. It was okay but the plot line was just repetitive. They had the same issues to deal with just with additional characters.
    • Some characters were added just to cause more friction. They weren't necessary at all. I didn't feel their importance.
    • Also, confusing timelines.
  4. The Twelve Days of Dash and Lily by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan (3.5/5)
    • I did not enjoy this as much as the first book which was kind of a disappointment. The story wasn't as exciting and the characters showed their annoying side (I'm looking at you Lily).
    • I disliked Lily in this book because she was so negative. She fucked up things without any solid reason. I felt like she lost any character development.
    • My boyfriend, who loved the first book, decided to DNF it because he couldn't take what was done to the characters and the story.

  5. Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire (4/5)
    • This wasn't really bad at all. I just didn't feel as amazed as I did with her previous books and that's why it disappointed me.
    • The writing wasn't as beautiful as before and the story wasn't as exciting. There were predictable parts and honestly, some of it felt a little boring. We don't feel the same attachments we did to the characters because we haven't really seen them a lot before (except for Kade and Christopher).
  6. Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli (4/5)
    • Again, this wasn't really bad at all. I just kind of had a big expectation because I just finished Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda before I started this. I loved that book a lot and since Leah is Simon's friend, I thought I would enjoy this as much as I enjoyed Simon's story but I did not.
    • The story was alright. I loved how we got to see Leah's gang again. The main issue that I had was Leah. I wasn't really feeling her at all and I kind of got pissed at her. She's full of rants and negativity and I felt off about it. I also didn't really like her romance story for some reason. I'm all for girl x girl love story but I didn't feel theirs at all. It kind of felt rushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...