Tuesday 6 February 2018

| Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire |

30312891
"There is kindness in the world, if we know how to look for it. If we never start denying it the door."

PAGES: 128 (Ebook)


SYNOPSIS: Rini tries to save her mother, Sumi, who is dead.


RATING: 4/5


NON-SPOILERY REVIEW

This was a fun book. I really loved the previous books of this series but this one I just liked. It was full of adventure but I felt that it wasn't as amazing as the other books. I didn't feel much attachments to the characters because everything happened immediately. They found things and then went to the next one to find like some sort of checklist. The adventure didn't seem as exciting. Some of the scenes were also predictable. Plus, I didn't find Seanan McGuire's writing as beautiful as I did in the other books. It lacked something for me. Some feeling. Still, the worlds that Seanan McGuire built were beautiful. It was interesting to see them and I still want to know more about the other ones. It was also nice to see some of the characters from the previous books.



FAVORITE QUOTES

"Come back, turtles!" shouted Nadya.
"Come back and let me love you!"

That's why people shouldn't get too hung up on labels. Sometimes I think that's part of what we do wrong. We try to make things make sense, even when they're never going to.


"You are not a cake, you are a human being and I can see your vagina," snapped Nadya.

The stranger shrugged. "It's a nice one. I'm not ashamed of it."

"Well, shit," said Christopher, and that was exactly right, and there was nothing more to say.


"Fuck me," he said.

"What, here? Now? In front of Kade?" Cora put on her best pretense of a simpering expression. "I'm not that kind of girl."

"It's never okay. But I told myself that every night when I was in Prism. I told myself that every morning when I woke up, still in Prism. And I got through. Sometimes that's all you can do. Just keep getting through until you don't have to do it anymore, however much time that takes, however difficult it is.


"I'm not that god at lying to myself."

"Whereas I am a king of telling myself bullshit things I don't really believe but need to accept for the sake of everyone around me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...