Saturday 24 February 2018

| The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding by Alexandra Bracken |

33785202
"Light a candle and step close to the looking glass. Time is short, and we cannot delay."

PAGES: 242 (Ebook)


SYNOPSIS: The Redding family betrayed a demon named, Alastor, and he's back to try to get his revenge.


RATING: 4.25/5


NON-SPOILERY REVIEW
This is the first book by Alexandra Bracken that I've read and I enjoyed it. It was such a fun and interesting story about the Reddings and their ties with a demon. The start kind of reminded me of the anime Ayashi no Ceres but less harsh. The characters were fun and enjoyable to read about. Prosper was such an active child and I love his interactions with Alastair. Alastair is not really that bad at that point. His reason for his anger was justified for me. I really didn't see the twist in the end coming. It shocked me and made me want for more. I really thought this was a solo book at first which made me kind of mad after I read it.



FAVORITE QUOTES

It wasn't that me and Prue hated our grandmother. It was just we thought she might be the Devil in a dress suit.

"Ooooh, children!" she sang out. "Hurry, won't you? We've been waiting for you."
That was it. I whirled around with only one goal: to run back up that hill, through the creepy forest, and straight out of Redhood. If she was giving us sweets and talking in that strange drippy voice, it could only be for one reason. She was going to poison me.

He was missing his left eye, which Grandmother swore was because he had an "unfortunate run-in" with a fireplace poker. Personally, I think she was aiming for his heart, and had missed.

"With stories like these, it's best to start at the very beginning," Uncle Barnabas said. "Tell me, Prosperity, what do you know about the family curse?"

"Why is he talking like that?" I asked Uncle Barnabas. "It sounds like he swallowed a Pilgrim."

"We don't suck! We don't suck!" Blake's friend began to chant.

What foul treachery is this? Alastor wailed. By the realms, you smell of roses and spring. Find mud, Maggot, and quickly rid yourself of this rotten stench.

Human "junior high". as it were, was an excellent breeding ground for misery. Alastor had feasted on the feelings of frustration, anger, and hopelessness he'd felt there.

Nightlock pounced on the stuffed animals before they even hit the ground. He scooped them up and cuddled them close to his chest, rocking them back and forth even though they were almost as big as him.

Stop pretending to feel sorry! Al hissed. Stop pretending to be anything other than another Redding wretch.


The boy's heart, it would seem, was a rare sort: incorruptible by greed, incompatible with jealousy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...