Saturday 21 October 2017

| The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli |

30653853

Operation stop worrying about rejection.
Operation be less careful.
Operation it's good for me.

PAGES: 226 (Ebook)
SYNOPSIS: The story of Molly Peskin, a girl who had 26 unrequited love.

RATING: 3.8/5


REVIEW: 

After reading this, I enjoyed it. The writing was beautiful. There were many lines that I liked. However after thinking about it, there was an issue of how much nothing really happened all throughout the book. I mean, sure, it's a contemporary book and the plot of most contemporary book isn't all that complicated, but this one spent so many parts where Molly whined about her life. On the other hand, I still liked seeing how things unfolded. I was curious as to what would happen with Molly's life. Molly was kind of relatable with her unrequited crushes. There's also the fact that I love how close she is with her family. Pat and Nadine are wonderful mothers. I also loved Reid. He was cute and adorable. Abby was also a wonderful character and friend. Plus, I love the fact that there is a diverse set of characters in this book. 



FAVORITE QUOTES: 
I've never told anyone this-not my moms, not even Cassie-but that's the thing I'm most afraid of. Not mattering. Existing in a world that doesn't care who I am. It's this whole other level of aloneness.

I know this doesn't exactly make me unique, but I love the internet. I love it. I think the way I feel about the internet is the way some people feel about the ocean. It's so huge and unknowable, but also totally predictable. You type a line of symbols and click enter, and everything you want to happen, happens.

"Your bastard children are very happy for you."
"Oh my God! We won't be bastards anymore," I say.
"Aww, you guys will always be our bastards."

"So, maybe I should let my heart break, just to prove that my heart can take it. Or at the very least, I need to stop being so fucking careful."

"But there's this awfulness that comes when a guy thinks you like him. It's as if he's fully clothed and you're naked in front of him. It's like your heart suddenly lives outside your body, and whenever he wants, he can reach out and squeeze it. Unless he happens to like you back."

"I'm telling you: life is too short for this bullshit."

"And sometimes that's just what happens. People grow apart."

"There's just something terrifying about admitting you like someone. In a way, it's actually easier when there's no chance of anything happening. But there's this threshold where things suddenly become possible. And then your cards are on the table. And there you are, wanting, right out in the open."

"Yeah, the waiting sucks. Especially when you start feeling like it's never going to happen."

"But you know, there's an upside here. Because when you spend so much time just intensely wanting something, and then you actually get the thing? It's magic."

I can't quite articulate the sweetness of that feeling.
It's finding out the door you were banging on is finally unlocked. Maybe it was unlocked the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...