Monday 13 March 2017

| Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake |


TITLE: Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake

PAGES: 285 (Ebook)
SERIES: Three Dark Crowns #1

SYNOPSIS: Three sisters have to kill each other to determine which one will become the next queen.
Three dark sistersall fair to be seen,two to devourand one to be Queen.
RATING: 4/5

NON-SPOILERY REVIEW: When I heard about this book, I was immediately intrigued. I didn't even notice it was written by Kendare Blake until after I started reading it. I really like the gruesome plot of this book even though it's terrible because they're sisters. It was interesting to read about. I liked the fact that each of the queen candidate had their own point of view and we get to know each of them. There are some boring parts in this book and the pacing wasn't really that fast but I found it quite enjoyable to read especially the second half. The first half was for building up the story and introducing characters and the second half was the real drama. I was a bit overwhelmed with the amount of characters in this book but it was alright after I got used to them. Each queen candidate had their own set of characters who raised them. I really liked Arsinoe among the three candidates. She's the most down to earth and fun character. Her interactions and bond with Jules and Joseph were fun. I'm also happy that she got to know Billy. The second candidate I liked was Katharine. Her training is the most harsh because of the poisons. I liked her interactions with Natalia and Pietyr. I liked how fierce the Aaron family were (even though they're quite harsh at times especially Genevieve). Mirabella was the least candidate I liked. There's something about her that really annoyed me especially at the end. Among the three type of powers: naturalist, elemental, poisoner - I liked naturalist most because nature is wonderful and omg food. I was really surprised by the twist in this book and I'm excited to read more about this world in the next book.


FAVORITE QUOTES:
Katharine looks around at the tall stacks of leather-bound books. "Queen Camille liked them," she says. "She liked to read about mainland queens. Did you know that is where Arsinoe got her name?" "I did not.""There was a queen on the mainland who was murdered by her sister. She was called Arsinoe too. So when Arsinoe was born weak, that is what she named her. Arsinoe the naturalist."
"It mattered," he says against her. "But God, I wish it hadn't."  
Billy stands below the cliffs and looks up at her. He bows, deep and slow, and the crowd murmurs. Arsinoe holds her breath. He bows only to her.  
“I want revenge." She whispers, and her fingers trail bloody streaks down Natalia's arms."And then I want my crown.”   
"I'm a poisoner." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...