Sunday 30 July 2017

| MOVIES - JULY |

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN:
DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES (8)

What am I to you?
You are my treasure.
SYNOPSIS: An undead Spanish sea captain and his crew is hunting Jack Sparrow. Meanwhile, Jack and his crew are searching for the trident of Poseidon.

RATING: 9/10


NON-SPOILERY REVIEW: 

I don't know why this movie has low ratings (or low income?). It was amazing. I think I love this more than the previous pirates film. It was fun, adventurous, and exciting. I laughed a lot throughout the film and there were pretty touching scenes too. The cinematography and effects were pretty beautiful too. It was fun seeing the original casts back and the additional ones were pretty interesting too. The plot was simple but the necessity of it was touching. The introduction of Captain Salazar was pretty terrifying because hey, another undead enemy!


THE MUMMY 2017 (11)

Welcome to a new world of gods and monsters.
SYNOPSIS: An imprisoned ancient Egyptian princess was freed and decided to continue the mission she was trying to do before she was caught. 

RATING:  5.8/10


NON-SPOILERY REVIEW: 

It was a pretty decent film. However, it wasn't impressive at all. I found the pacing quite slow and I was bored at some points. I felt that Tom Cruise was wrong for the role. They shouldn't have made the title like that because you won't be able to disassociate it with the version starring Brendan Fraser. It wasn't really all about a Mummy, unlike the previous series. It was pretty deceiving. The plot felt like they weren't sure if they wanted it to be about mummies or to connect it to the Dark Universe. Also, as a starter to the Dark Universe, it felt pretty weak. I hope they make future movies of the Dark Universe better.


PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL

This is the day you will always remember as the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow!
SYNOPSIS: Blacksmith Will Turner goes on a quest with Captain Jack Sparrow to rescue his love, Elizabeth Swan, from the a group of undead pirates. 

RATING:  8.5/10


NON-SPOILERY REVIEW: 

This is a rewatch. I managed to appreciate it more this time around. I really forgot many details about the film series and I loved discovering them all again. It was fast paced and enjoyable to watch. I love seeing the characters and the story unfold. Johnny Depp really portrays Jack Sparrow in an amazing way. This is an amazing start to the Pirates of the Carribean series.


PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST

I got a jar of dirt, I got a jar of dirt, and guess what's inside it!
SYNOPSIS: Jack Sparrow goes to search for the heart of Davy Jones while Will Turner searches for him in order to save Elizabeth.  

RATING:  8/10


NON-SPOILERY REVIEW: 

This is another rewatch. This one had a slow pace and I didn't love it as much as the first one but it was still amazing. This is a build up for the third movie and so not much happened. Still, I love the adventure that they all went to. Jack's lines towards Davy Jones were hilarious. There were so many betrayal and manipulation that occurred all throughout the movie that made it so interesting.


PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN: AT WORLD'S END

Dying is the day worth living for.
SYNOPSIS:  Barbossa, Will, and Elizabeth prepare to find Jack and fight with the East India Trading Company who plans to end piracy. 

RATING: 10/10


NON-SPOILERY REVIEW: 

I really love this movie even though it was quite long. The story and the how it unfolded was amazing to see. Each of the characters had their own goals that they want to achieve and some of them did. It was amazing to see the team up and the betrayals that happened all throughout the movie. Knowing more about the pirates was an amazing addition to the movie (since we get to see the Pirate Lords). This is an amazing conclusion to the story of Will, Jack, and Elizabeth.


THE BOSS BABY

Blackbirds singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arrive.
SYNOPSIS: A baby was sent from Baby Corp to a family in order to find and stop the plot of Puppy Co.  

RATING:  8/10


NON-SPOILERY REVIEW: 

I found this movie adorable. I kept laughing and smiling all throughout the movie because the babies were so cute. The plot wasn't really much but it was so entertaining. There were also pretty touching scenes and the bond that developed between some of the characters was precious. It's a great movie for kids and families to watch.


SPELLBOUND


SYNOPSIS: A woman who can see ghosts gets caught up in a romance with her boss who is a magician. 


RATING:  8/10


NON-SPOILERY REVIEW: 

I really love this movie. Lee Min-ki and Son Ye-jin were amazing as the lead characters. It was entertaining and hilarious to watch. The ghosts were really creepy to see. I love how Yeo-ri was able to break free of her shell and explore the world better. I love Jo-goo's support towards her and their friendship in the beginning. I love her friends and the Jo-goo. The only thing that kind of ruined it was the climax. Things kind of escalated fast.


No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...