Monday 10 July 2017

| Monsters of Verity by Victoria Schwab |

#1: THIS SAVAGE SONG


"It doesn't matter if you're monster or human. Living hurts."

PAGES: 297 (Ebook)

SYNOPSIS: It follows a world where an act of violence breeds monsters. One character is a human wants to be ruthless for her father like a monster while another character is a monster that wants to be human.
RATING: 5/5

NON-SPOILERY REVIEW

I really like this book. I found the concept where monsters are created through violent acts quite unique and interesting to read about. The three type of monsters: Corsai, Malchai, Sunai's origins were interesting to find out more about. I like the fact that in order to feed, the Sunai's needed to use music. I guess it literally means music speaks to the soul. I also liked Victoria Schwab's writing. It's beautiful to read even though the story wasn't really beautiful. It's full of tragedies and wars that cause human lives. I didn't necessarily love the main characters however they were interesting enough. A monster who wanted to be human and a human who wanted to be a monster. Their journey together as they try to survive was enjoyable to read. They had fun interactions and their support to each other was great to read. The villains in this book were not really what I expected and it was refreshing to read. Callum Hark was truly a terrible human being.



FAVORITE QUOTES:
"To the strange, and the mad, and the monstrous." 
"Why would you even want to be human? We're fragile. We die."
"You also live. You don't spend every day wondering why you exist, but don't feel real, why you look human, but can't be. You don't do everything you can to be a good person only to have it constantly thrown in your face that you're not a person at all.
"He could be the monster if it kept others human." 



#2: OUR DARK DUET


It wasn't easy. The world was complicated. Life was hard. And so often, living hurt.
So make it worth the pain.

PAGES: 391 (Ebook)

SYNOPSIS: The story continues with August and Kate being in different places but due to a circumstance, they are forced back together to fight another monster.
RATING: 4/5

NON-SPOILERY REVIEW

I loved this book from the beginning up until before the climax. It was fast paced and the things that were happening were entertaining (even if it kind of lacked action). It was a fun read and I flew through it so fast. However, when I got near the end I got disappointed. Many things were left unanswered. Some things happened so fast in the end. There was so much build up that was released too fast. I wasn't able to absorb and appreciate the things that happened before another thing happened. I was really disappointed because it was longer than the first book and could have had so much more. I think it was left to be interpreted in a way that a spin-off could be made but heart cannot still accept what happened in the end. 

The characters were more lovely and precious here. Kate was a badass female character that amazed me. She didn't stay put a lot and went to the action to join the others. August was such a precious monster. He was adorable and you can see how much conflicted he is about his role. There were also additional characters such as Soro and Alice who were interesting to read about. I wish we could have seen more about Soro.

Overall, I would still suggest this duology to others (I think it is a duology?). It was a short and exciting read. The story and build up of the world was interesting to read. Plus, Victoria Schwab's writing was still beautiful.



FAVORITE QUOTES:
'Hell is empty. All the devils are here.' 
'Permission to enter?' Kate spread her arms along the back of the couch. "Password?" "I brought pizza." 
"Monsters," he said slowly, "all want the same thing: to feed. They are united by that common goal, while you are all divided by your morals and your pride. What do I think? I think that if you cannot come together, you cannot win." 
'I can't protect this world and care about it.' Kate met his gaze. "That's the only way to do it. "He folded forward. "I can't." "Why not?" "Because it hurts too much." He shuddered. "Every day, every loss, it hurts." "I know it hurts," she said. "So make it worth the pain." "How?" "By not letting go," she said softly. "By holding on, to anger, or hope, or whatever it is that keeps you fighting."You, he thought. 
'Do you ever wonder why music brings a soul to surface? What makes beauty work as well as pain?' 
"You cannot win unless you're willing to fight." Kate slammed her fist on the table, and heard the sound of metal burying itself in wood.
Soro's gray eyes hardened. "You would risk these lives, and yours, for a sinner." "No," said August, "I would risk them for a friend." 
"I'm here," she said. "We're here. You're an absolute fool, and I'm going to kill you after we save you, but we're here." 
People were messy. They were defined not only by what they'd done, but by what they would have done, under different circumstances, molded as much by their regrets as their actions, choices they stood by and those they wished they could undo. Of course, there was no going back - time only moved forward - but people could change. For worse. And for better. It wasn't easy. The world was complicated. Life was hard. And so often, living hurt.So make it worth the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...