Monday 7 August 2017

| Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman |


That is how the worlds will end, in ash and flood, in darkness and in ice. That is the final destiny of the gods.

PAGES: 146 (Ebook)

SYNOPSIS: A narration about the Norse Gods - who they are and some of their stories. 


RATING: 4.25/5


NON-SPOILERY REVIEW: 

I enjoyed reading this book. I have always been fond of mythologies and I was glad to have finally been able to read a book that solely focused on Norse Mythology (I read a Greek Mythology book before that had a short Norse Mythology at the end). I loved knowing more about Norse Myth especially since I am reading Rick Riordan's Magnus Chase series. I loved knowing more about the gods - their histories and their stories. It was also interesting to find out how much Rick Riordan incorporated Norse Myth in his works. There were stories in here that were used by Rick Riordan for the parts of Magnus Chase. I wish though that gods and goddesses were described in the beginning (not just Odin, Thor, and Loki). I wish there was a certain segment just for naming them and what they were gods and goddesses of (I know there's a glossary in the end but it didn't seem enough). I wanted more of the stories especially since I remember how many stories there are in the Greek Myth. The stories here are full of mischief especially from Loki. Most of the stories could be blamed on Loki to be honest and I wanted more background about him. Some stories were heartbreaking especially since some of the characters that died didn't deserve to die. They were just at the wrong place at wrong time. 

All in all, this book is a perfect introduction to the Norse Myth. Beginners like me would be able to familiarize themselves with the Norse Gods and get an introduction about some of the things they did. Neil Gaiman had an interesting way of telling the stories in a more fun way (I really love the conversation parts). 



FAVORITE QUOTES: 
Loki makes the world more interesting but less safe. He is the father of monsters, the author of woes, the sly god.

"Because," said Thor, "when something goes wrong, the first thing I always think is, it is Loki's fault. It saves a lot of time."

"I'm not sure about the eyes," Var said. "They don't look very feminine."
"I should hope not," muttered Thor.

No one could beat old age, because in the end she takes each of us, makes us weaker and weaker until she closes our eyes for good.

"Of course it was Loki. It's always Loki."

No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...