Sunday 26 March 2017

| A Conjuring of Light by VE Schwab |

PAGES: 563 (Ebook)

SYNOPSIS: The story continues where it left off. Red London is being overtaken by Osaron - a godlike creature who wants to rule. Meanwhile, Kell and the other magicians try to do their best to defeat him.

RATING: 4.75/5

NON-SPOILERY REVIEW: So many things happened in this book. Terrible things and amazing things. Some parts made me happy and some parts made me really sad. Every character was entertaining to read about. They were given backstories that made you really appreciate them. Every scene was interesting and VE Schwab's writing is really amazing. The way it was written was beautiful and it is easy and fast to read. Overall, this series is worth the read. Waiting for each book seemed really worth it after reading the final one.


FAVORITE QUOTES: 

"Names are important," she said, twirling the cord. "Mine is Ojka, and I have orders to keep you out. "Beyond the doors, Kell let out a scream of frustration, a sob of pain."My name is Lila Bard," she answered, drawing her favorite knife," and I don't give a damn.
 "My will is magic. And magic is my will."
"Kell isn't the only one you fail to understand. My bond with him didn't start with this curse. You wanted him to kill for me, die for me, protect me at all costs. Well, Mother, you got your wish. You simply failed to realize that that kind of love, that bond, it goes both ways. I would kill for him, and I would die for him, and I will protect him however I am able, from Faro and Vesk, from White London, and Black London, and from you.
Sometimes you had to pretend, everyone knew that. Pretend to be happy. Pretend to be brave. Pretend to be strong. If you pretended long enough, it eventually came true.   
Because caring was a thing with claws. It sank them in, and didn't let go. Caring hurts more than a knife to the leg, more than a few broken ribs, more than anything that bled or broke and healed again. Caring didn't break you clean. It was a bone that didn't set, a cut that wouldn't close. 
"Love and loss," he said, "are like a ship and the sea. They rise together. The more we love, the more we have to lose. But the only way to avoid loss is to avoid love. And what a sad world that would be. 
I am Rhy Maresh, he told himself as blood slicked the floor. I am the king of Arnes. And I am unbreakable. 
Magic made everything feel so impermanent, it was easy to forget that some things, once changed, could never be undone. That not everything was either changeable or infinite. Some roads kept going, and others had an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...