Wednesday 27 April 2016

#T5W | APRIL TOPICS

Top 5 Wednesday is a group that was created by Lainey and is currently hosted by Samantha. A topic is posted every month wherein if you want to, you can post about your top 5 picks for said topics.

The topics for the month of April were:
  • Rainy Day Reads
  • Books with "Hard" Topics (ie mental health, sexual assault, illness, etc)
  • Books You're Intimidated By
  • Favorite Mothers/Maternal Figures
I wasn't able to post on the weeks the topics were supposed to be in so i'm doing them at the last Wednesday of April.
In this post, I'm going to talk about my top 5 Books with "Hard" Topics, Books I'm Intimidated By, and Favorite Mothers/Maternal Figures. I'm not doing Rainy Day reads because it doesn't usually rain here and I don't really have a book or a genre of book I prefer reading during rainy days.

BOOKS WITH "HARD" TOPICS

  • Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
    TOPIC: Assisted Suicide
    This book is really deceiving. I thought it was a light-funny read but oh boy was I wrong. It's about a woman who becomes a caretaker of a quadriplegic man and their adventures together. This book made me cry and it broke my heart. It's wonderfully written and there is a movie coming out starring Emilia Clarke and Sam Claflin. The trailer is amazing.
  • Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
    TOPIC: Abuse
    I really need to reread this but at the same time I don't want to be sad all over again. Eleanor and Park's relationship is a really fun one to read. However, Eleanor's home life is so difficult and Richie is ultimately creepy that makes it hard to read. Plus, Eleanor being bullied in her school is another aspect that makes it hard to read.
  • The Green Mile by Stephen King
    TOPIC: Racism, Rape and Murder
    This book really made me feel devastated. It talks about the Paul Edgecombe's past as a correctional officer in charge of death row inmates. It's hard to read about some convicted men getting electrocuted for the crimes they committed after reading about them being nice and trying to repent. It was also hard reading about the crime one of the inmates supposedly committed. This has a movie starring Tom Hanks.
  • A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
    TOPIC: Terminal cancer
    This book tells a story of a boy who's trying to cope with his mother's terminal cancer. It's a heartbreaking story that confused me at some points but ultimately made me really sad. It's hard to lose someone you love. It's hard to read because you don't want to and hope not to experience what Conor's experiencing. A movie is coming out soon about this.
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
    TOPIC: Child Abuse
    I really wanted to include this here because I find this book hard to read. I haven't finished all the books in this series because my heart aches for the Baudelaire children when I'm reading it. They had a terrible childhood after they lost their parents. I'm stuck at book 6 because I can't take the hard life they've been given.
I'd like to mention Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott because even though that book wasn't my favorite, it was a really hard book to read. It talks about sexual abuse. The story is about a girl who was kidnapped and became a sex slave of a pedophile. I don't really know why I decided to read this but until now I can't get forget what happened. 

BOOKS YOU'RE INTIMIDATED BY

  • A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin
    I really want to read this book because I love the tv series (even though the tv series has surpassed the storyline of the books that are currently available). I'm having a hard time trying to read it because the book are too thick and the point of view of some of the other characters are not really that entertaining. I got bored. I'm halfway through the first book and the point of view that I'm currently interested in are Daenerys' and Tyrion's.
  • The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien
    I really want to read this but I don't think I can take the writing. It's not that it's not beautifully written (because I'm sure that it is), it's just that the writing used is not the one that I'm comfortable reading. I find it quite hard to understand and i get bored.
  • Classic Books
    I am having trouble reading classic books. As of now I've only read two, Pride and Prejudice and Les Miserables. It was worth it and I'm sure other classic books are but I'm not in the mood for one right now and I don't have the time. Recently, I tried reading Sense and Sensibility but the writing made my head hurt and i got confused a lot.
  • Brandon Sanderson Books
    I've been seeing a lot of people read Brandon Sanderson books and loving it. Especially on booktube but whenever I see how thick his books are, I get intimidated to read it.
  • Poetry Books
    I don't know why but I really don't have the patience to read poetry. My attention goes elsewhere and I end up not understanding nor enjoying a certain piece of poetry. 

FAVORITE MOTHERS/MATERNAL FIGURES

  • Molly Weasley from the Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling
    Mrs. Weasley was the first one I thought when I saw this topic. She's a very wonderful woman and mother to all her children and maternal figure to Harry. I'm glad that he had her during his growing years and i love how she treated him like one of her own children.
  • Sally Jackson from Percy Jackson and the Olympians series

    Sally Jackson is a very wonderful woman who raised Percy on her own. She married an awful human being like Gabe just so she could protect her son. It's a wonderful thing that she was later rescued by Percy and that she found her own happily ever after with Paul.
  • Minerva McGonagall from the Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling

    Aside from Mrs. Weasley, McGonagall acted like a maternal figure for Harry. She's a badass professor who cared about her students. She genuinely cared for Harry's safety and guided him through his academic years.
  • Esme Cullen from the Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyer

    Esme is a wonderful character for the Twilight Saga. She cared for all her adoptive children and I'm glad that she met Carlisle. She committed suicide after she lost her own child and i'm glad that even though she couldn't have her own child, she had the Cullens. It was nice of her to welcome Bella into their family.
  • Trisha Corbin - Taylor from the Sea Breeze Series by Abbi Glines
    Trisha's the maternal figure of their group. She's there to give them advice and helps comfort them through hard times. She had a hard time growing up with a horrible stepmother but with her brother and Rock by her side, she was able to grow up into an amazing woman. She couldn't have her own children so she adopted Preston's siblings and became a wonderful mother to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

| BOOKS I READ IN 2020 |

I managed to finish my Goodreads reading challenge this year. Hooray! I re-read 15 books, but still, I managed to read 30 (8 are manga). Als...